Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Counterfeit Kit Challenge Member Blog Hop

It's that time of the month again-time for the blog members to show off what they have been creating with their kits and/or our challenges. 
Here's a look at my kit again:

We had three challenges on the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog this month, 

Challenge #1:  Own Challenge: Your turn to challenge the counterfeiters.
Challenge #2:  Selfie Challenge: Scrap a selfie.
Challenge #3:  Mixed Media Embellishment: Get messy and inky with some home-made embellies.



Since I did a sample of Mixed Media Embellishments for the blog already, I decided to go with Challenge #1 and make my own challenge. And then my brain blocked up and I could not figure out what I wanted to do for it! Finally, I was looking around my scrap room, and my eyes landed on my "inspiration dish".


 A class I took a while ago, I believe it was one of Shimelle's, urged us to write creative prompts/tools/items on strips of paper and put them in a jar or dish to grab from whenever we are feeling stuck creatively. I grabbed 3, and this is what I came up with:

Tape, Badges, Mist
So, that was my challenge, and that is what I am challenging you to use as well. I was in a hurry (When are you ever not in a hurry as a mom of 4?), so I challenged myself to make the page in 30 minutes. It ended up taking me about 40-45.
I pulled my papers from my kit, along with my required items, and went to work:


 So, here is my challenge to you:

"Make a project in 45 minutes or less, using tape, badges, and mist."

Here is my completed layout:

There were lots of fun bits in my kit that I put to good use, such as all of the fun arrow shapes,the diecut glitter title, and my homemade cork embellies, and I got the story recorded, which was the most important part to me.
Close-ups:



Tips to make it work, quickly:

  • Make snap decisions. Don't agonize over every detail!
  • Try to stick with the kit. Luckily, I had badges in my kit already, just grabbed the washi tapes that matched my papers and my favorite teal Color Shine.
  • Don't dig through all of your photos! I used the first ones that I saw that would work with the papers that I chose. I had a stack of photos sitting on my desk to be filed away, and I just scrapped them instead. 
  • If you happen to prejournal your photos, that could save time too. I had already written the journaling on a Post It and stuck it to the top photo in the stack, so I knew I could tell the story quickly, without leaving anything out.
  • The biggest tip-use the first thing that will work! Don't go searching for the "perfect" paper for your photos or vice versa, just use the first thing you see that will work, and go with it! You'll end up tweaking it to your tastes anyway!

Thank you for hopping along with us today. Jemma is your next stop on the hop, be sure to check out her lovely work! 

If you get lost, here is the full list of the hop:


10 comments:

  1. What a great way to choose a challenge, great tips and great layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your photos already had a story post-it note with them ... SO organised! Great way to challenge yourself too - fab page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! I loveeeeeeeeee the colors!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun challenge. love u'r LO. beautiful placement of the flairs. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun challenge and such a good idea to have this typed and cut in a bowl :) Shoould do this myself. Your layout turned out so cute too. Some great tips too, totally agree that is what I love about counterfeit kit the papers are ready for what layout you want to do. Will have to gather some of these pieces of paper and have them in a jar for when I'm stuck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Total stunner! I have bookmarked this post for future reference :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your layout and your tips are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great page and I agree that going with the first thing that works saves tons of time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww... that journalling is so touching! Amazing ideas.. and I'm off to a retreat this weekend.. so I will be having a go at your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you made this great page in just 45 mins. Good for you and what a super way to get the inspiration flowing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they make my day!